I’ve been passionate about computer science since I was a kid, which led me to pursue a Master’s degree in Software Engineering from the University of Bologna, Italy. I’ve been in the web development game since 1998, when the internet first became available in Italy, and I built my first personal website.
My passion for computer science and problem-solving has always been an asset in my work, and I’ve been constantly learning and evolving my skills to stay up-to-date with the latest technologies and trends, particularly in open-source technologies. With over 20 years of experience in the web industry, I’ve honed my skills as a full-stack web developer and sysadmin, and currently lead the tech team at Black Studio, an Italian web development agency.
I’m especially active in the WordPress community, contributing to the project in several ways: Meetup and WordCamp organizer, speaker, translation editor, core contributor, and especially plugin developer. I’m the author of the popular Black Studio TinyMCE Widget plugin, which has received over 10 million downloads and is widely used by WordPress users worldwide.
I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems.
Code is poetry.
Debugging is like being the detective in a crime movie where you are also the murderer.
Jan 2020 - Present
Head of Technology
Black Studio is an Italian web agency specializing in custom web development, graphic design, hosting, and strategic consulting. In my current position as Head of Technology, I am in charge of: – Technical analysis, consultancy, project management, and implementation of digital projects, with a particular focus on custom WordPress projects – System administration of the hosting infrastructure (400+ websites, 1000+ mailboxes) – Supervision of a fully remote team of web developers – Relations with customers and suppliers
Dec 2015 - Present
Certified WordPress Expert Developer
– Codeable is a popular online outsourcing platform for WordPress projects with handpicked and pre-screened experts. – Completed 250+ projects for 50+ different clients, with an overall rating of 4.98/5.
Jan 2015 - Dec 2019
– Technical analysis, consultancy, project management, and implementation of web projects, with a particular focus on custom WordPress projects. – System administration of the hosting infrastructure. – Leading a fully remote team of web developers. – Tech support to customers. – Speaking at tech conferences.
Jan 2010 - Dec 2014
Lead Web Developer
– Development of websites, with a particular focus on custom WordPress projects. – Development of custom WordPress plugins, for clients and for free distribution (including the popular Black Studio TinyMCE Widget, which counts 10+ million downloads). – Leading a fully remote team of web developers. – Tech support to customers.
Jul 2006 - Dec 2009
Senior Web Developer
Jul 2002 - Jun 2006
Apr 2001 - Dec 2009
Jul 2007 - Dec 2007
Jan 1994 - Jun 2003
– Development of video games distributed with freeware and shareware licenses. Among these, Biliardo, a free billiards simulation, became very popular, totaling several million downloads and getting reviews in specialized magazines and websites. – Consultancy on billiards videogame development for a private company. – Development of simple management applications and promotional video games for large companies (Accenture, Alternative Spa) and private clients.
"C. Cattaneo" Technical Institute (High School)
Sep 2000 - Jun 2001
Electrical Engineering TeacherElectrical
– In charge of the electrical engineering chair. – Teaching the basics of electrical circuits and machines.
University of Bologna
Master's Degree - Software Engineering
Grade: 100/100 with honors
Address: Computer Systems and Applications Experimental thesis in combinatorial optimization entitled “Heuristic algorithms for the Periodic Vehicle Routing Problem”
ITIS C. Cattaneo
Castelnovo ne' Monti, Italy
Professional Diploma - Electrical Engineering
Visual Studio Code
System Administration Skills
Network services and protocols (HTTP, SSH, etc)
Productivity and Collaboration Skills
Chrome Remote Desktop
Attention to Detail
Qualification to practice the profession of engineer